Tuesday, September 8, 2009

Oh The Secrets That Old Car Would Know

DSC_0068

This is a photo of my new project. It's a 1970 MG just waiting for a little tender loving care. When I was little, my dad would fix this car up every spring and we would drive it around spring, summer, and fall, until it got too cold. Now this was before the strict seatbelt laws, so my brother and I would literally sit squished behind the seats. It was awesome. I think our experience in that car truly embodied what it meant to be a child - hair whipping around, feeling like you were on a carnival ride, all that joyful freedom. Sometimes, it would be just you and dad and that was special, too. Sitting up front, helping shift gears. My brother and I would have to take turns - one of us could ride to the softball game with dad and the other could ride home. Well, you can see what a few years inside the garage have done to the car. It's a little worse for wear, although we're hoping with a little elbow grease we can get it back on the road for the fall. We'll see. We've spent a couple of days trying to clean up the interior a little. Next we need to get it started. We got the accessories to turn on, but we couldn't get the car to turn over. That might mean a trip to the battery store for me. The next step would be to wash the exterior and make it shine like the top of the Chrysler Building. I'm keeping my fingers crossed. It would be so wonderful to feel the wind whipping through my hair again, maybe even from the driver's seat!

No comments: