Wednesday, September 10, 2008

My Home Sweet Home

Following the 2008 Olympics, Winchester welcomed home its own Olympic medal winner, Alicia Sacramone. Now, we're just a small town, but there was a parade and a gathering on the common. The P.A. system was a little faulty, but I'm pretty sure they knighted Alicia or made her Queen of the Town or maybe gave her the key to the city. Something very exciting happened, regardless. Since this was all happening essentially in our backyard, Doug and I strolled over to check it all out. It's not every day there's a ticker-less ticker tape parade. I will tell you off the bat that I am clearly not meant to be a paparazzi photographer. First of all, I'm way too short. Second of all, I had a moral dilemma over whether or not I should push the small children out of my way to get a better photo. Morals won out and the kids stood in front of me and blocked my shot. However, I still managed to get some cool shots.

This is Alicia making her way to the podium.



Doug took the next two photos (because I'm too short). In the first one, I'm pretty sure Winchester just promised Alicia its first born. Can't you see what's written on that plaque?


In this photo, the rally seems to have taken on a different subject. It's not everyday the CIA is celebrated with silver mylar balloons!


In all seriousness, after all the strange controversy surrounding the Olympics, and especially gymnastics, Alicia Sacramone deserved a nice homecoming. I was happy to be a part of it. It's very easy to get caught up in the excitement and the patriotism. We should be proud of all the athletes who competed - they are all amazing. I can't even balance on the Wii Fit board, never mind a balance beam!

No comments: