Wednesday, May 6, 2009

I Want To Be Your Partner

I met up with Tara and Dave the day after their wedding to squeeze in a little Day After Session. Instead of putting her formal wedding dress back on, Tara wore this saucy little number which was her dancing dress at the reception. We started out at The Biltmore Hotel. They wanted to incorporate it into some of the photos because of its history and grandeur and because we had all stayed there over the weekend. Well, we definitely encountered a lot of resistance from the hotel staff, which was extremely frustrating. Despite finally getting the okay from the head of security, it made me uncomfortable so we didn't spend too long inside the hotel before moving outside. Nothing could dampen Tara & Dave's happiness though. They were in their own little world and I was sort of just orbiting.

T&D's Day After Session

T&D's Day After Session

T&D's Day After Session

T&D's Day After Session

At the end of our shoot, we walked over to Pershing Sq. (where we encountered some trouble with the cops, but whatever, apparently it was my day to be a troublemaker) which was right across the street from the hotel. Pershing Sq is sort of an anomaly in downtown L.A. It's got all sorts of stone sculptures painted yellow and purple and there's a fountain, but I don't imagine a lot of people hang out there. Anyway, we got to play around and take pictures and that's all that mattered. We found these really cool fake telescopes and used them for some shots. I was once at a seminar where I was told to "shoot through things" so this is my attempt. I actually really like the photos that came out of this experiment. Hooray!
T&D's Day After Session

We also used the location for some top secret photos that I can not reveal here (at least not yet), but they look awesome. I don't know that the Day After Session has really caught on around here yet, but it was a great way for us to get some relaxed portraits. You can be creative, choose different locations, and not worry so much about dresses getting a little dirty. If you feel crunched for time the day of your wedding, or you want to join the cocktail party as quickly as possible, it's definitely something to talk to your photographer about. It was so much fun! I could have photographed Tara & Dave all day, all around Los Angeles. In fact, I should probably warn them that the next time I travel out there, it's on my list of things to do!

No comments: