Monday, June 1, 2009

Just A Small Town Girl

I grew up attending weddings. Since I was the 21st of 23 grandchildren (on just my mom's side), a lot of my cousins were getting married when I was a teenager. But, no matter whose wedding I went to, they all had something in common. Every single one of them, in my memory, played songs like "We Are Family" and "Celebration." Those seemed to be the most popular cheesy wedding songs. The ones that got everyone, including your aunts, out on the dance floor. Now, as an adult, when I go to weddings, those songs land on the "Do Not Play" list. In my estimation, they have been replaced. By what? "Don't Stop Believin'" by Journey, and to some extent (especially in the Boston area), "Sweet Caroline" by Neil Diamond. As soon as these songs start, everyone is up and singing at the top of their lungs. There's also some definite fist pumping - you know, hands in the air and everything. I'm curious, has anyone noticed this trend? What are the songs that get all the wedding guests onto the dance floor?

And, since I don't want to post without a photo, this is from a shoot I did a few weeks ago.
Mom & Daughter

I've been extremely busy lately, which is great for business, but as you can see, not great for blogging. I will try to be better since it's now wedding season and I need to stay on top of everything. Doug and I are actually taking off for Vermont this weekend to photograph the wedding of my freshman year roommate. It is going to be so awesome! It just happens to be the same weekend as my college reunion, so although I won't be in Maine, I will be having my own reunion of sorts. And, as I'm typing this, Doug said, "Are you going to write about how I saw Duff?" Apparently, Charm City Cakes (of Ace of Cakes on the Food Network) was in Boston for an event. They were in the same building as Doug's office and he saw Duff assembling the cake. I was pretty jealous when I heard, but Doug managed to grab some photos and video on his cell phone.

Until next time, don't stop believing.

**Update: I received an email from my mom this morning reminding me that I am the 21st out of 24 grandchildren, not 23. I had forgotten to count my little sister. Oops. Sorry, Tess.**

1 comment:

Jenny said...

Ha ha - I love that you forgot your little sister!

"Don't Stop Believin'" and "Sweet Caroline" are definitely going to be played at my wedding!! And I have seen that trend. Which makes me feel like I'm hopping on a bandwagon, when in fact I just like them! ;)