Wednesday, December 24, 2008

People Who Need People

I only have one brother and one sister, but I come from a very large extended family. My grandparents had twenty-four grandchildren. I was number 21. Even though we range in age from 15 to 47, we grew up together. We've been in each others' weddings. We've visited each other at college. When I was little, I got to see my cousins off to the prom. They babysat me, took me to the movies, took me to school, and took me to the Kowloon in Saugus. It was a wonderful way to grow up. Christmas has always been one of our "family times." The tradition has always been the same - a big sit-down dinner featuring homemade raviolis in homemade sauce. When I was little, we used to sit at banquet tables winding through my grandmother's basement. There was bingo, too. When we outgrew the basement, we moved to a restaurant. Now, we eat at a church. There was a time when the number of people eating swelled to about 65. Now, everyone has their own families and the number is smaller again because they have to spend time with their in-laws. For the first time in my life, I will be switching up traditions this year and it kills me. I don't let go easily. With both my grandparents gone, this Christmas dinner was one of the traditions we tried to hold on to, in their memory.

This photo is of my Auntie Lanie's family. This year, she wanted to send out a Christmas card with a photo of her and my uncle Robert with all their grandchildren. They have 21. Outside of giant wedding guest photos, this is the largest number of people I've squeezed into a photo since I started my business two years ago. It's certainly the largest number of people who are related! My aunt was thrilled with the results and she left me a message saying she hoped I used this photo on my "work screen." I assume she meant my website. And since you can't say no to Auntie Lanie, here it is:

Auntie Lanie

I hope you all have a wonderful holiday! I can't believe today is Christmas Eve. Doug and I leave tomorrow for Buenos Aires and we're not quite packed, but we're getting there. One suitcase down, one garment bag to go! I will hopefully blog from the road. I am SOOOO excited!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

this is an INCREDIBLE shot, Meg. I can't believe you got everyone to look at the camera and look *nice* at the same time. this shows your true talent! you go girl, I'm taking notes!